It is a proved fact that you can’t concentrate on more than one matter at a time. But it is also undeniable that there are times when we are stopped or confused due to negative thoughts clouding our minds. It is extremely important to distract your mind from negative thoughts in order to focus on what is important and what you should be doing.
Now, you realize that you have to stop thinking about the disturbing factor but how do you do that? Preventing negative thoughts need strategies and implementation of the strategies which are really simple once you get a hold of them.
- Keep your mind busy.
- Make your shopping list for the day on your mind.
- Count from 100 to 0 really fast.
- Do some easy calculation. Calculate cost of groceries.
- Say some tongue twister repeatedly like- She sells sea shells on the sea shore. Try again every time you make a mistake.
- Are there lots of people in front of you? Try to guess their occupation. Who seems sick? Who lives where? Listen to what they are talking about.
- Solve word puzzles. Consult dictionary if needed.
- Try to remember the names of your classmates from your school. Write down the names you can recall.
- Do you have any poem memorized? Good. Recite the poem.
- Try to solve mathematical puzzles.
- Do you love listening music? Listen to your favorite singer or album.
- Do you draw? Then draw something funny.
2. Keep your body busy in work
- Start walking to and fro.
- Do some exercise- yoga, aerobics or any power training.
- Clean the window glasses.
- Wash your car or motorbike or whatever vehicle you own. Make it all shiny.
- Clean your dirty clothes. Don’t use washing machine- clean them manually with your hands.
- Go swimming. Swimming really helps to free your mind from tentions.
- Just do anything that takes up all your energy and makes you tired. But take up only the works you can do.
3. Change the center of your thinking.
- Tensed while shopping? Count the number of bottles, packets, and tins on a shelf.
- Exam hall tension? Count the number of examinees in the hall. Who has a mustache? Who is wearing a funny dress?
- Tensed about being admitted into the hospital? Count the number of beds. How many beds are empty? Who many beds are occupied? When these are done read your favorite book.
It’s not tough to master the ways to stop your mind from worrying. What you need to do is, understand and learn the ways properly. You have to practice these strategies regularly- these can’t be mastered in one day or a few days. You need to make time regularly to practice the strategies of distraction.